Saturday, June 25, 2011

TIPS - to Develop the Mentorship Relationship

We would really like to gather TIPS on developing the Mentorship Relationship from you. What have you seen that would be mutually beneficial?


Here is one that we've put into our "Ten Tips to Effective Mentorship" document:



Tip # 2: To help your relationship to develop, make an effort to share insights regarding yourself with your Mentor or Protégé. Be prepared to open up and show your personal side, the real you, as well as the professional you! Talk with your mentorship partner about your personal attributes, dreams, personal goals, strengths, as well as some of those areas you still want to improve!

NOW IT'S YOUR TURN ... add your TIP as a Comment to this Post.  :)

1 comment:

ProVision Mentorship said...

Ian Hope provides some great insights and personal experiences in the following observations from his experiences with Mentorship. (Thanks Ian.)

I’ve learned in my life that relationships are built from helping others with needs. Nothing builds great relationships like ‘helping out’. This is as true for the person who is doing the helping, as much as for the person being helped.

Mentorship builds strong and meaningful bonds between mentors and mentorees that will be valuable and memorable not just in the present, but most likely years down the road!

In my case, my mentor is now in his early 80s and has been retired for many years and living on the west coast. Still, we call each other at least once or twice a year… I never forget to thank him for the very valuable tools that, with his help, I was able to put into my work kit years ago, and which I use almost daily in pursuing my dreams and ambitions.

I also know, from having mentored others, that the mentoring process helps me keep in touch with my own passions while at the same time stimulating me to sharpen and refresh my own skills, knowledge and abilities. The process of working with the mentoree causes me to think more critically for example about behaviors and strategies I might otherwise take for granted. I have to consider my approaches to tasks and problem-solving and be able to explain them, and be able to illustrate why they work so well. Communicating with the mentoree enlivens me and helps me to look at what I’m doing as if seeing workplace challenges once more through new eyes- those of my mentee.